Saturday 21 March 2015

Liberty shir,t Burda Style 03-2013-147

 Somehow, when my son was selecting fabric for his next shirt, he honed in on a piece of Liberty lawn, that I had bought specifically for myself whilst shopping with Sharon of Petite and Sewing when she very kindly took me to Tessuti in Surrey Hills.

Despite some reluctance to part with this fabric, I felt that such natural good taste should be encouraged. Considering that a lawn shirt is one of the very few items of cool-to-wear-in-hot -weather clothing socially acceptable for a young man, and that Liberty prints have so many colours in them that they co-ordinate with almost everything, I gave in to the inevitable and made him this luxurious garment.


The pattern, Burda Style 03-2013-147, which I have made previously in a smaller size, is modified slightly by making a short sleeved version for high summer temperatures, and discarding all the contrast bits. I also changed the placket.
 technical drawing from http://www.burdafashion.com


Instead of commercial interfacing, I used a medium weight cotton twill both inside the collar,  and as the outer collar stand. This is cooler to wear than the polyester used in most interfacing. There is some hand topstitching around the collar stand for my own amusement, and to pick up the lovely blue shade from the print.

The blue just happens to be exactly the same shade as his hand knit cable pullover from last winter, which due to some forethought in making long cuffs, still fits. One has to take advantage of these serendiptious happenings.


My son selected glowing orange buttons, rather than the neutral ones I was expecting. By using a triple fold placket, as per David Page Coffin's Shirtmaking instructions, instead of Burda's, I was able to follow Claudine's detailed instructions for sewing on the buttons with a waste knot, hiding the thread in between the layers of the placket. I hope this will hold up to the vigours of boy wash and wear.
Despite the  expression, this is a favoured garment, and I will undoubtedly be making more, probably in the next size up, for increased tracing opportunities.



16 comments:

Summer Flies said...

What a mother's sacrifice but it looks great. I love the hand stitching .. it's a great touch. I also love the cable jumper. Will we see you in Brisbane on Saturday?

liza jane said...

I agree, what a sacrifice! But yes, he does have good taste in fabric. Love that last photo, too :)

kbenco said...

Sophie, thanks, I won't be in Brisbane on Saturday for the Spoolettes' high tea, its the first club soccer game of the season -more maternal sacrifice ;), but worth it, there is quite a different facial expression whilst playing soccer.

SewRuthie said...

What a beautiful shirt. Let's hope he wears it a lot before he grows out of it.

BonnyD said...

" I felt that such natural good taste should be encouraged."
Excellent parenting, excellent sewing skills! Beautiful shirt.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Excellent mum indeed. I mentally checked my small Liberty stash and was reassured it is obviously floral. Safe from my son.

Sharon said...

Your son has excellent taste and the Liberty needs to be worn. The perfect shirt.

Summer Flies said...

Oh... we'll miss you! I know however the sacrifices will return 10 fold when you are in need in the future. I am well acquainted with all those young men facial expressions when trying to get a photo!

Sew, Jean Margaret said...

Very sharp shirt. Love the hand stitching around the collar stand.

Sewtime said...

Beautiful shirt.

Anonymous said...

This is such a lovely item. It's a pity he is still a bit small as it is sort of shirt you could borrow and really enjoy wearing too. I love to see men in Liberty print. One of my male colleagues frequently wears a LP shirt (often floral actually) with a formal suit and he looks amazing. I also love that your son chose orange buttons - it shows he has a good design eye. Overall a smashing shirt and beautifully made.

colesworth said...

lovely fabric and shirt, I like the orange buttons!

Veronica said...

So much detail!!! Great stuff!

velosews said...

He's obviously smiling on the inside.
Sorry I won't see you on Saturday.

Joy said...

Increased tracing opportunities, haha! Kids do insist on providing up with those, don't they? I'm glad he loves the shirt and may he (eventually) grow to appreciate the fabric sacrifice it was.

Gail said...

He looks so happy to be photographed! Great shirt and I love the hand stitching on the collar stand.